Saturday, December 22, 2012

How to Love Your Depressed Lover.

Last night I thought I kissed
the loneliness from out your belly button.
I thought I did, but later you sat up,
all bones and restless hands, and told me
there is a knot in your body that I cannot undo.


I never know what to say to these things.
“It’s okay.” “Come back to bed.”
“Please don’t go away again.”
 

Sometimes you are gone for days at a time
and it is all I can do not to call the police,
file a missing person’s report, even though
you are right there, still sleeping next to me
in bed. But your eyes are like an empty house
in winter: lights left on to scare away intruders.


Except in this case I am the intruder and you
are already locked up so tight that no one
could possibly jimmy their way in.
Last night I thought I gave you a reason
not to be so sad when I held your body like
a high note and we both trembled from the effort.


Some people, though, are sad against all reason,
all sensibility, all love. I know better now.
I know what to say to the things you admit to me
in the dark, all bones and restless hands. 


“It’s okay.” “You can stay in bed.”
“Please come back to me again.”

From here: Source

This poem is perfect for us, and I am sorry you deal with it over and over again. I love you, I just need time and I'll always come back when I can deal again.

xo,
Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment